Saturday, May 30, 2009

Oh, Dark Knight, How Much I Love Thee

I bought this blu-ray player last Christmas on the cheap. I was pretty happy with it, considering how much I paid for it.... Until I found I couldn't play any blu-rays from Fox Studios. I found this out the hard way after renting Futurama and finding out my blu-ray player needed a firmware upgrade to play newer blu-rays due to updates to the DRM. Mind you, this blu-ray player is unabashedly cheap: there's no ethernet port on it, and even if it did, it wouldn't have mattered anyway because I didn't have internet at my apartment at the time. (That's another story in and of itself.)

So anyway, I move to a new place, I finally have internet, and I'm thinking maybe it's time I upgrade this baby. So I hop on over to the manufacturer's website to do the upgrade, and lo and behold, I've got to upgrade this thing the old fashioned way, by burning the firmware update onto a CD-R. Great, whatever, so long as I can start watching Daredevil and other craptacular Fox productions in all their hi-def glory. So I burn the firmware, and... disc not recognized. WTF, mate?

I'm getting frustrated at this point, so I google for a solution. Turns out the firmware actually makes things worse rather than better. And here's the kicker: other people who have this particular player and did the upgrade found that their player could no longer recognize certain blu-rays it could before, like Wall-E. And The Dark Knight.

Sheer providence, I tells ya! I woulda been one pissed off mofo without my Dark Knight. So it's 6 months later, I still can't watch Fox blu-rays, but I've got my Dark Knight and I'm content with that. I may not rock costumes at comic conventions, but damn if I'm not one of the biggest fan-boys you'll ever meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment